8/06/2005

Quick review

Sio and I caught most of the Ben Folds/Rufus Wainwright show (we were late to the concert because A. I tried to do too much today, which caused us to get a late start and B. we hit traffic on the Mass Pike that held us up for about 20/30 minutes.

This was Sio's first concert, so when we got to Boston, I dropped her at the Bank of America Pavilion (corporate sponsorship, sucking the poetry out of life every day), and I went to park. I got all discombobulated coming out of the parking garage, so I missed a big chunk of Ben Folds : (

What I did see was Ben Folds in top form, which is how he is everytime I see him live. I love that little man. But boo! there was no encore! I think he was feeling a little under the weather, so I forgive him.

I did get to enjoy Rufus Wainwright's whole set. I think Rufus is an artist who is best appreciated live. He's unbelieveably charming and adorable and clearly belongs in the spotlight. And for me, his songs take on so much warmth when I see him performing them. I think it's because his voice is not one that I immediately enjoyed listening to - he has mushy diction, his voice is both throaty and nasal, but I think he's a fantastic songwriter, and in person I find myself appreciating the positive qualities of his vocal performance - the emotion, the range. Plus, he is delicious to look at, according to Sio. I feel maternal towards him, I just want to give him a hug and have him tell me about his day over some fresh baked cookies and tea.

Highlights of Ben Folds: I missed his cover of Dr. Dre's Bitches Ain't Shit, but I won't shed any tears, since I did see it the last time I saw Ben. So my highlight would have to be One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces, a song that I play on my way to work in the morning because it revs me up. Another highlight: Ben conducting the audience on the harmony section of Not The Same - I love it when he actually climbs on top of the piano. And I love every single time he pushes his glasses up owing to my geek fetish.

Highlights from Rufus Wainwright: I was thrilled he played my current obsession, Hometown Waltz. He also played a new tune, one he thinks is going to be a big hit. It's called Between My Legs (Rufus: "it's about a landmark"). But my two favorite numbers were Memphis Skyline, his ode to Jeff Buckley; and his performance of Beautiful Child, which was kind of thrilling. And I am always, always impressed with his tuning - he must have perfect pitch, because the dude is never, ever out of tune.

No comments: