8/01/2005

Ohhhhh, now I get it

I always wondered why the Irish American Home Society chose to have their big Irish festival the last weekend in July. In my personal observations, Irish people are amongst the most heat sensitive, sweatiest people in the world - I was sweaty even in the dry heat of Las Vegas. So I always wondered why the Irish Festival was held during a time that was almost guaranteed to be sweaty weather.

But it all came clear today when a pagan friend of mine wished me a Happy Lughnasa. Traditional Lughnasa festivals lasted from July 15 to August 15, but the official Gaelic holiday of Lughnasa is today, August 1st.

Interestingly, the festivals celebrated to the sun god Lugh have something in common with the Seinfeldian holiday Festivus - feats of strength are displayed at both. And to bring this full circle, apparently Festivus was invented by an Irish-American, who no doubt would have been sweating his ass off at the Irish Festival this weekend, had he been there.

No comments: