11/06/2006

Politics at the Pump

I went to the gas station to fill up my car tonight, and there was just me and one other customer there. We were on opposite sides of the same pump, facing each other, and he started up a conversation.

"Winter's coming," he said.

"Yeah, but it's been pretty nice for November so far," I replied.

"Don't forget to vote tomorrow," he said.

"Oh, I'm definitely voting tomorrow," I said.

He said, "My father-in-law is a Republican, he told me to make sure I remember to vote on Wednesday. I'm a Democrat, so I guess he thought that was funny."

"My father-in-law was a Republican his whole life, but he said he's going to vote for Democrats from here on out, because he hates George W. Bush so much," I said.

"Good for him!" the guy replied. "I'm 59 years old, there has never been a president as bad as Bush, he's just terrible. I'm voting for Lamont, too."

"Me, too."

"Lieberman is on their side, I just couldn't vote for him," he said. "Besides, you ever notice how the only time he shows up in Connecticut is when he's running?"

"Yeah," I said. "Plus, remember when he was running for the Democratic nomination in 2004 - he said he was going to move to New Hampshire and Florida for the length of the campaign."

"Is that right?" the guy said.

We were both done pumping gas by then. I told him to take care. He said "I hope there are a lot more people like me and you hitting the voting booth tomorrow."

Me, too.

No comments: