11/02/2006

idea I'm tossing around

I've come to realize that a big part of my obsession with Sio's college application process is due to the fact it was always my dream to go away to college, and I never got to do that. So I'm tossing around this kind of radical idea of upending my life and the lives of everyone I live with, and applying to Smith College's Ada Comstock Scholars program. I would want the whole college experience, living there, going to school full-time, etc. We could sell our house here, move to Northampton, we could buy a condo there or a smaller house, or we could even live in on-campus housing.

Am I crazy? Am I having an early mid-life crisis? Does it make sense for a 37 year old to start anew as a college student, to graduate, say at 42, with thousands of dollars in education loans? Is this doable? Is it a bad idea?

No comments: