6/12/2005

Things are happening

I just have to throw out a huge thanks for the efforts of After Downing Street, the Big Brass Alliance, and Shakespeare's Sister. The Downing Street Memo is starting to get some attention, and new information has come out in the Times that implicates the Bush and Blair administrations in ginning up a phony case for war.

What a disgusting way to treat the men and women who volunteer to sign up to defend the country. Yeah, yeah, I'm not crying any tears for Saddam Hussein, I certainly wouldn't want him as the leader of my country. He seems like the kind of guy who might make up reasons to attack other nations, for example. He's also the kind of guy who thinks torture is an acceptable way to gather information.

I think a big chunk of the reason why they wanted to do this was to bolster their legacies. For Bush, I think it was primarily personal - he wanted to do something bigger and better than daddy. For Blair, I suspect his intentions were more along the lines of being the man who paved the road to peace in the Middle East. But essentially, these men sent over 1700 Americans, I'm not sure how many Brits (last count I could find was from 2003), and countless Iraqi civilians to their deaths to glorify themselves in history.

Meanwhile, the actual guy who attacked us on September 11, 2001 is still roaming around somewhere. Or dead. Hey, who cares about him, anyway?

No comments: