6/22/2006

quickies

So, there are loads of things I wanted to blog about this week, but my shoulder hurts and I've had a massive sinus headache, so I haven't. Here's a quick list:

The jobs we call blow: I don't think blowjobs are inherently gross, although there was a time that I did think so, and that time was before I fell head over heels in love with Loki. Being tremendously sexually attracted to someone made me feel like putting my mouth in places it had never been before. I do think that blowjobs are inherently awkward and uncomfortable, though, from a physical perspective. Either you're on your knees, which get crankier as you get older, or you're on top and horizontal while dealing with something that is vertical, or there are ways to do it that my own crippled body just cannot handle. Any way you look at it, there's a reason it's called a job.

Linda Hirshman's Op-ed and book: she did a great job of kicking up some controversy, which I'm sure will help sales of her book. Her philosphy is mostly useless to people like me, who don't have a brilliant career but have to work at a soul sucking job that takes me away from the people I love without providing any intellectual fulfillment, and while I agree with her that running a home and raising children aren't honored in our society, I certainly do not agree with her that those tasks are not worthwhile. Her argument certainly doesn't help with the whole division of labor thing - she's just confirming what men have long believed - kids and house are women's work. And I think Amanda at Pandagon is wrong to handwave the critics who are complaining of Hirshman's elitism, because I think it is at the heart of Hirshman's philosphy.

The Secret E-Mail of A-List Bloggers: Heavens to mergatroid! A blogging kerfuffle! Okay, near as I can make out, the big bloggers on the left have a secret clubhouse, and Kos suggested to the other club members that his pal Jerome Armstrong should not be raked over the coals for his shady ethical behavior (which makes his move into political consultancy inevitable, I guess) in the past, behavior that caught the attention of the SEC. Jason Zengerle at The New Republic(an) went public with the private e-mails, saying Kos is telling the other big lefty bloggers that it's a nice advertising network, shame if something happened to it, which everyone is denying. And now I've written more about this than the whole stupid thing deserves.

I want to make some adjustments to my blogroll, but the bursitis in my shoulder is killing me, so I'm just going to go to bed.

No comments: