6/01/2006

Gardening


I may have mentioned this before, but I have the black thumb of death when it comes to gardening. I have killed many fine plants in my time. The only plant that still survives in our house is an aloe, and that's because A) it's a succulent so it's okay if I forget to water it every now and then and B) two people in my house have skin conditions that find aloe soothing, so they are the ones who remember to water it.

Despite my inability to nurture a plant, I love fresh vegetables. I was going to purchase a half share in a local Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm, but then I got a better offer - my father tilled an extra chunk of yard for me.

So I have to pick up some seedlings to pop into the garden, and then my dad will work on my garden while he's working on his garden. I've already decided that I must have watermelon and green peppers, and I think I will probably plant some zucchini and other squash for late harvesting. String beans are also good, although they're in season right now, so possibly too late. Potatoes? Maybe - I always liked digging them up. Cucumbers, onions, and maybe some herbs. I'm kind of excited about this. I'll just have to keep my black thumb off of the plants.

No comments: