9/20/2007

Comfort Food

Last night I went grocery shopping, and since I'm a bargain shopper, I always check out the little areas where they hide the older/damaged produce, dented cans, discontinued items, and day old bread.

I scored a day old baguette for .50, so I made bread pudding last night. Bread pudding and I are old friends. I love bread, and I love pudding, so it was only natural that I would love the two of them together. And it's so easy to mix things up with bread pudding. The last time I made bread pudding I used day old danish - that was the best bread pudding ever. I've also used flavored coffee creams instead of heavy cream or half and half, which also makes for delicious bread pudding.

Last night, I made a very basic pudding. French bread, 2 tablespoons of melted butter drizzled over the bread, 4 eggs, 2 cups of half & half, 3/4 c. of sugar (1/4 of it brown, because that adds a little more richness), vanilla and cinnamon mixed together and poured over the bread. I don't like raisins when they are baked, so I exclude that common ingredient. It'd definitely a treat for cooler weather, since it bakes for 45 minutes. It's good cold, but it's divine warm.

Monkey and I had some for breakfast this morning. What a comforting way to start the day.

No comments: