3/17/2006

Coincidence

I wrote a day or so ago about getting in touch with an old friend of mine from my community theater days. He's directing the show Falsettos at the Southington Community Theater, and I said if he needed a Jason, I knew just the kid. Well, he already had a Jason, and, more sadly for me, he already had a Dr. Charlotte, which is a role I covet (although not as much as I covet the role of Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd, a role I am bound and determined to play before I die).

Today, I got an email from my friend saying his Jason dropped out, so he may need my Jason after all!

That's coincidence number one: getting in touch with someone right when they needed my help with something.

Coincidence number two: I've been feeling kind of lonely lately. I rarely hang out with anyone who isn't a family member, and I was feeling short on non-related friends, and yes, feeling a little sorry for myself. I was in the middle of writing a post about lonliness yesterday afternoon when my phone rang, and it was another old friend of mine, a woman I used to work with, and with whom I clicked immediately. So we made plans to get together for coffee and conversation, which is great, because she is truly one of the most original minds I know, and delightful to converse with.

I am going to take these coincidences as a reminder that I know a lot of people out there, and I need to take the initiative to keep in touch with them. My insecurity often gets the better of me when I think about calling people I haven't talked to in a long time - "oh, if they wanted to talk to me, they would have called by now," but I shall try to assume that they would be as pleased to hear from me as I would be to hear from them.

No comments: