9/28/2005

Reading, Watching, Listening

Reading

Two days ago, I started reading In Cold Blood, because I wanted to be familiar with it before I check out the movie Capote. I recently read that Capote's goal was two-fold - to write a true crime novel and to argue against the death penalty. I haven't finished the book yet, but thus far, I haven't seen any anti-death penalty proselytizing, although Capote is so deft a writer that perhaps it is subtly implied. His first goal is met masterfully, however.

Up next, I will be reading Adam & Eve's Diary, found and translated by Mark Twain. And Sio is trying to convince me to read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel, which was the textbook for her AP World History class last year.

Watching

Because of school and choir, and because I canceled most of our cable, I haven't been watching much television. But we signed up for Netflix and I've been re-watching I, Claudius. Loki and I are also gearing up to see Serenity this weekend. He's getting together a group of his college friends to go to a midnight showing on Friday at midnight, we're seeing it with his sister and her husband on Friday evening, and we'll probably see it one more time this coming weekend. Is this entirely insane? I don't think so, I feel so personally invested in the film, and I so want it to do well, because I'm not ready for this to be the last story with these characters.

Listening

I am completely OCD when it comes to music - I listen to the same artist, the same CD, the same song, over and over and over again. Ben Folds Five and Ben Folds' solo CDs have been on constant rotation at my house. I listen to Rufus Wainwright as I surf the web late at night. I recently added a CD of David Bowie songs my sister burned for me. And Monkey likes to hear The Talking Heads when we're in the car (and I'm totally willing to oblige; More Songs About Buildings and Food may be one of my all-time favorite CDs. I'm thinking about getting something by The Decemberists on The Chemist's recommendation. I picked up a Kings of Leon CD, but haven't listened to it yet, and I've still got that Le Tigre CD that I haven't listened to.

So what about you? What are you reading, watching, and/or listening to?

No comments: