9/09/2005

How can I keep from singing?*

Our summer break from choir ended last night. We had a great rehearsal, and I impressed myself with my ever improving sight-reading skills. But the greatest news was that this year, for our Pops concert, we are finally going to pay homage to the most brilliant lyricist since Cole Porter, and my favorite contemporary showtune composer, Stephen Sondheim. Now I will have to work carefully and try to gently persuade the choir director that the song "A Little Priest" from Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street will absolutely be appropriate and that the audience will love it. Even though it's a celebration of cannabalism.

*this is the title of an Appalachian hymn. My favorite arrangement of it was arranged by Sio's chorus teacher.

No comments: