6/17/2005

Last Day

Today is the last day of school for the minors in our house. Both of my sisters with children are sort of bemoaning summer vacation, because neither of them work over the summer. One is a teacher, one is a lunch lady.

Meanwhile, your hostess the wage slave just got asked one of those questions that can make you* cry: Monkey asked me if I could please take the summer off so we could hang out together. I will have to remember this feeling as I sit through remedial algebra, to trigger a little more motivation to finish my degree in Music Education. I don't think I will complain about the kids being home all day.

Sio has a big huge summer planned: 2 weeks working at camp, trip to London and Greece, possibly a job at a very nice hotel. In addition, she will be going to school over the summer to organize the costume room, and to meet with the Computer Science teacher for a few projects (she's taking AP Computer Science as an independent study next year).

Monkey is going to overnight camp (the same one that Sio will be working at) for 2 weeks, then she'll be at the Parks & Rec day camp for the remainder of the summer.

My mother-in-law is coming for a visit in mid-July, and thankfully I have an excuse to stay at work - I'm saving up my time off for potential hip replacement surgery. MIL is a wingnut. A nice wingnut, as wingnuts go, but a wingnut nonetheless. Because I take good advice, I won't say anything about her husband.

I'll try to go swimming every day at one of the public pools. And I'll take a day off here and there for a day trip to one of the fine beaches of Rhode Island (because it really is not as much fun on the weekend).

And I have my Ben Folds/Rufus Wainwright concert in August.

And - fingers crossed - the end of the Bush era to look forward to.

No comments: