8/07/2006

I love to vote



Tomorrow morning, Monkey and I will head to our polling place and pull a couple of levers with names above them. At some point in the day, Loki will do the same. As will my mother, father, sisters, brothers-in-law, sister-in-law, and co-workers (I work in the public sector, everyone in our office votes, and we only have two Republicans (one of whom had to switch his party affiliation to get appointed to a post he was uniquely qualified for...shades of Communism).

I want to go early because I want to be the first one in my office to say I voted for Lamont. I want to wear my "I Voted Today" sticker so I can remind other, less-obsessive Democrats that today is the day to decide the course our party is going to take; whether we will continue to dodge our well-armed domestic opponents with our own weapons sheathed, or whether we're righteously mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.

For me, a vote for Lamont is not just about the war. On the petty side, I have a personal grudge against Lieberman because no one on his staff ever read a single letter I sent them. No matter what I sent them, I would get an e-mail (usually 6 or 8 weeks later) thanking me for my support of the Senator. He's taken me for granted, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

But I'll confirm the worst fears of the right-wingers: for this Democrat, my vote for Lamont is also a vote against Bush. I hate everything the Bush administration has done to my country. They are destroying everything that is good about this country, and Joe Lieberman still acts like they are just gentlemen having a gentlemen's disagreement. If Joe is so clueless that he can't see the Republican Party is trying to destroy their opposition - not just defeat the Democrats electorally, but to obliterate us - then Joe is not smart enough to represent Connecticut Democrats in Washington.

After all, Connecticut is the Constitution State. It was the Connecticut Constitution that Thomas Jefferson used as a template for the United States Constitution. The same Constitition that the Bush Administration has been assaulting ever since they cheated their way into the Oval Office. Connecticut deserves better. Let's make August 8, 2006 a volley against the domestic enemies of our Constitution. Vote for Ned Lamont.

No comments: