8/28/2006

Going back to New Orleans

My cousin is one of the people who left New Orleans before Katrina hit. They had the resources to get out, so they did. They settled in North Carolina, where my aunt (his mother) lives.

My cousin is a devout Catholic, and his new church in NC took good care of him and his family. They helped him find a job and a house; they helped him find a special school for his 14 year old son, who has autism, severe enough that he doesn't speak. But now they are going back. His wife is a native of NO, and she wants to go back to her home.

My cousin is not dealing with this well. He doesn't want to go back. He doesn't want to sacrifice the new life he's built in NC. He doesn't want to be in the path of another hurricane. He doesn't want to have to try to start over again.

I don't know how my cousin feels about the way the Bush administration (mis)handled Katrina - both with the lack of response prior to the hurricane hitting and to the response to the levees breaking. I know that the thought of going back, of being in the same position again has triggered some kind of trauma in cousin, who is in therapy to deal with his anger about going back to NO.

No comments: