8/04/2006

Books

The Minstrel Boy tagged me, and I won't complain because I love being tagged - it makes me feel like people are thinking about me, and that makes me happy.

1. One book that has changed your life.
Tough one. While I am easily enthralled with new ideas, changing my life requires a great deal of effort, and I'm not sure any book has moved me thus. I guess I'll go with Cider House Rules by John Irving, if only because I was moderately pro-choice before reading it, but strongly pro-choice afterwards.

2. One book you have read more than once.
I read lots of books more than once, but for the purpose of illustration, I'll offer To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I read it as a child and enjoyed the adventures of Scout and Jem and Dill. I read it again as an adult and discovered a whole other book, one about justice and character.

3. One book you would want on a Desert Island
The Riverside Shakespeare.

4. One book that made you laugh.
Good Omens by Neil Gaimen and Terry Pratchett. There are lots of others.

5. One book you wish you had written.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, because that would mean I made a great contribution to juvenile literature while also becoming fabulously wealthy.

6. One book you wish had never been written.
Dianetics. I am prejudiced against Scientologists.

7. One book that made you cry.
I cry at everything, but I cried the most at A Prayer for Owen Meaney by John Irving.

8. One book you are currently reading.
I'm currently reading two: Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs and Stiff by Mary Roach.

9. One book you've been meaning to read.
The Life of Pi

10. One book you wish everybody would read.
I don't think I have a recommendation here.

No comments: