1/15/2007

That's Mrs. Cranky-Ass Bitch

And that's me, today. Mrs. Cranky-Ass Bitch. It all started off okay. My office was closed for Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, but I had to stop in anyway, because I have a meeting tomorrow, and I forgot to put drinks in the fridge for the meeting, and I don't get to work early enough to put them in tomorrow morning.

Then I went shopping. I have to replace several pots and pans that are non-stick - or, more accurately, seem to be losing their non-stick surface, and I prefer the old fashioned stick to the bottom kinds anyway. Yesterday I replaced one skillet with a beautiful deep rimmed cast iron job. Today, I didn't find anything suitable pot/pan wise, but I did find the PERFECT bowl for serving potatoes. It's green and has shamrocks around the edge. I also bought 4 green ramekins with Celtic designs on the inside.

Then I got gas ($2.29/gal), and went to the grocery store, where I did surprisingly well - got lots of stuff for good prices. I bought a brisket, which I will be cooking tomorrow in the crockpot. I will let you know how that goes.

Tonight, I planned a traditional roast chicken meal. Had a nice 7 lb. bird, stuck some butter and garlic under the skin, coated the bird with olive oil, sprinkled with kosher salt & pepper - pretty simple. Monkey and I peeled and chopped 5 lbs. of Yukon Gold potatoes, and I added half & half, cheddar cheese, a little sour cream, salt & pepper to them before I mashed them up. Veggies, gravy - everything was delicious.

What I am excluding from the above paragraph is the absolute, monstrous, raving bitchy attitude I had while I was getting the food ready for the table (or, in our case, the counter, because our dining room is lost to the forces of chaos). I had to apologize to everyone afterwards. I realized later that I have pre-menstrual tension, which is probably a sign that next month, I should keep it simple during PMT week.

I also made a lovely bread pudding, using day old danish from the grocery store bakery. I didn't use a recipe, I just read a few recipes and got a general idea of the ingredients required. I tore up a couple of raspberry and cheese danish, mixed together 3 eggs, some milk, a little sugar and vanilla, poured it over the danish and let it soak for a little bit, and then threw it in a 400 degree oven. When I pulled it out of the oven, I sprinkled a little cinnamon sugar on top. It tasted just lovely.

I feel much better now.

No comments: