1/20/2007

My interview

Well, I'm sure it wasn't the worst interview in the history of the world, but it was far and away the worst interview I've ever had in my life, and that includes the interview with the boss who sexually harassed me until I quit.

It wasn't just a bad interview, it was personally upsetting. I tried to stay strong, but by the time the interviewer said "I realize this must be very diminishing for you,"* I couldn't do it anymore, and I burst into tears. I cried for the larger portion of the interview.

Maybe it was due to my expectations. I expected that the interview was going to a chance for someone in the admissions department to get to know me. My interviewer, about whom I will be lodging a complaint, spent the entire interview talking about my transcript - which she [i]had not even seen![/i]- and how weak it was - sight unseen, I must remind you, based entirely on the fact that I mentioned I took only music classes last semester. Everytime I tried to steer the conversation towards me and my accomplishments, she came back to how inadequate my transcript (which she hasn't seen!) is.

I'm a fairly insecure person to begin with, although I try to keep those insecurities to myself. I just feel gutted and worthless after that experience.

*it didn't feel diminishing until she mentioned it, actually.

No comments: