7/30/2005

This is me avoiding household chores

The Chemist answered these questions on his blog, questions posed by Somewaterytart, and he said anyone could go ahead and do them on their blog, and I have to wash my kitchen floor, so I'm going to sit here and answer these questions instead.

1a. What year did you first start using e-mail (on a daily basis)?
1994, I think. I was most definitely using e-mail in 1995

1b. What year did you first start using a cell phone?
1995, I think. Then I stopped using it in 1998, and didn't get another one until 2001

1c. What is the ring-tone on your cell phone?
Ring tone 2 from the ring tones that were programmed into the phone when I got it.

2. From where you are answering this, can you see out a window? If so, what do you see?
It's dark, so I can't really see anything, but if it were daytime, I would see the garage, the two dead cars that continue to take up space in our driveway, antagonizing our neighbors, and the trees that border our yard from our neighbors yards.

3a. What one physical characteristic would you change about yourself?
I wouldn't have a deformed hip, or I would have a longer neck.

3b. What one personality trait would you change about yourself?
I wish I were less lazy, but entropy and I, we are constant companions.

3c. Thing you like about yourself the most?
My sense of humor, mostly because it allows me to appreciate all kinds of humor except for The Three Stooges and winger humor, because neither of them are funny.

4a. Favorite spectator sport?
hurling and hockey

4b. Favorite team and/or player in that sport?
Galway and the now defunct Hartford Whalers

4c. Professional sports team and/or player you would most enjoy seeing crushed in defeat?
Yankees

5a. Favorite bumper sticker saying?
I like any anti-Bush stickers I see, and stickers that are meaningful to me personally, but probably make no sense to the person behind me on the road, like Can't Stop the Signal or Proud Member of the Reality Based Community. But the only bumper sticker on any of the cars we own is on our dead white Saturn, and it says "May the Force Be With You"

5b. Bumper sticker saying that really pisses you off?
W04, Bush 04, Bush/Cheney, and DOMA bumperstickers raise my blood pressure.

6a. Do you believe in astrology?
no

6b. Do you believe in extra-sensory perception of any kind?
I have actually experienced some sort of extra-sensory perception. The other day, for some reason, the phrase "smells of onions" was wandering randomly through my brain, and that night on The Daily Show, Jon Stewart said that very phrase.

Also, when I was 16, I went to arts camp, and after 1 full day, I told everyone who lived on my floor (Foss 5 1/2 at Wesleyan University) what their houses/yards looked like, and I was nearly 100% accurate. To be perfectly honest, though, I really just made assumptions based on what towns they lived in and how rich I perceived them to be. IOW, it wasn't really ESP, it was really an educated guess.

And, of course, I was almost 100% accurate in determining the etymology and meaning of the word "wev", so maybe I'm psychic after all.

6c. Do you believe in ghosts?
No

6d. Do you believe in God?
Sometimes I wish there were a God, but I can't really make the leap of faith to actually believing in him/her.

6e. If you answered "No" to 6a, 6b, and 6c, and "Yes" to 6d, please explain.
n/a

7a. Favorite movie ever?
Raising Arizona

7b. Funniest movie ever?
Same, although I would also throw in the Monty Python movies, and the Rome section of the movie Night On Earth

7c. Scariest movie ever?
Bob Roberts, because it's all so real now.

7d. Worst movie you've ever watched in its entirety?
I have actually watched Barbie Rapunzel, Barbie Swan Lake *and* Barbie The Princess and the Pauper. But the worst has to be 9 and a Half Weeks.

8. If you were appointed Supreme Dictator of the United States for a day, what one thing would you outlaw? (Note: None of this "I'm not that type of person" crap. Indulge yourself.)
Ownership of media outlets by publicly traded companies - media should be accountable to their readers/viewers, not the stockholders of the energy company that owns the newspaper.

9. Are you happy?
Mostly

10a. How many foreign languages are you fluent in?
None. I know a little Spanish, less French, lots of Italian musical phrases, and loads of religious Latin.

10b. How many computer languages are you fluent in?
I don't even understand the question, that's how few.

11a. What was your major when you entered college?
Theater - Directing

11b. And what was it when you graduated?
I'm still in college, but my major is music education now.

11c. And what would it be if you could do it all over again?
Music education

11d. And if you were to go back to school now strictly for pleasure/self-improvement?
Creative writing

12a. What one thing about George Bush do you loathe more than anything else?
I can't decide between his inability to speak English after graduating from a school like Yale, or that fucking smirk.

12b. Member of the Bush Administration you actually think is evil (as opposed to merely stupid, incompetent, wrong-headed or short-sighted)?
Cheney

13. Do you "share" music with your friends, and if so do you feel guilty about it?
I share my love of certain artists with my friends, and I let people borrow my CDs, but that's all the sharing I do. I'm an idiot when it comes to online music sharing.

14. Favorite comic strip?
Bloom County and Life In Hell are my two old favorites. Of current strips, I like The Boondocks

15a. Do you consider yourself romantic?
sometimes

15b. Have you found your One True Love?
I don't believe in such a thing. I think there are many people on this planet that I could love and who could love me back, and I happen to be lucky enough to have found one of them when I was 17 years old, and we've been together since then.

15c. Do you use cute nicknames for each other?
No

15d. If so, what are... No, scratch that.

16. Ever owned an "exotic" pet, and if so what was it?
Are goats considered exotic? I've had chickens, ducks, geese, turtles, snakes, goldfish, cats, dogs, a lamb named Sean and a goat named Caligula.

17. Physically-grueling activities: Love 'em or hate 'em?
Love 'em, but can't do 'em because of my bum hip.

18. Have you ever gotten a Letter to the Editor published? If so, what was it about?
Yes, I have - once in The Hartford Courant, about the biased media coverage of the situation in Northern Ireland - this was when Reagan was president, and he was very supportive of Margaret Thatcher's Northern Ireland policy, and the coverage of how Catholics were living in NI at the time was non-existant, we only heard about the IRA and the Protestants.

In May of this year I had a LTE published in the New York Times - this was when Newsweek retracted their story about prisoner abuse. I suggested that since Newsweek retracted the story because of the unreliable source, that Bush should have to retract his war.

19. Would you say you're competitive?
Very.

20. As a percentage, how much of what you've achieved in life would you say is due to "dumb luck" (e.g. where you were born, who your parents were, random chance, connections you've made with people, etc.) versus hard work, careful planning, and determination? Please round to the nearest 10th percentile.
90% - but I wouldn't say all of that dumb luck was good luck. I was born in the US, which means I'm better off than nearly everyone else in the world, but I was born to an abusive alcoholic parent, which sucked, and I was raised by parents who really hindered me when I tried to better myself.

21. What actor/actress would you want to play you in the Movie of Your Life?
Kate Winslet

22. Favorite philosopher?
I don't have one

23a. What is the most enjoyable job you've ever had?
Even though it means I have to go to church every Sunday, I love getting paid to sing.

23b. Putting aside talent, training, compensation, and any other practical consideration, what job would you most like to have?
critically acclaimed short story author

23c. OK, now taking all the practical stuff back into account, what job do you wish you could have?
music teacher

23d. If you won Powerball, would you continue to work any kind of regular job?
My powerball plan, which would go into affect if I ever won Powerball (which is unlikely since I have never bought a Powerball ticket) is to quit my current job, go back to school full-time, and get a job I like out of it.

24. Biggest phobia?
I cannot make myself jump into the water. I can dive in, but I can't go feet first.

25a. How often do you worry about death?
I used to never worry about it, but sometimes when I can't sleep, I worry that I won't be around to meet my grandchildren.

25b. What's the closest you've ever come to dying?
I almost drowned when I was 4. I wonder if that has anything to do with my answer to 24?

25c. If you could be immortal, would you want to be? (Note: If you answered "Yes" to 15b, assume that person could be immortal with you.)
No, but I would like to be around for a good long time.

26. What period in history would you most like to visit?
The future

27a. Do you think we'll ever achieve interstellar travel?
Yes

27b. If you could travel in space, even if it were "just" to a Moon base, e.g., would you go?
Hell yeah

28. Name someone of your own gender that you consider "hot". (Note: Answering this does not mean you're gay, although feeling intense discomfort about answering it might. Oh, and if you are gay, name someone of the opposite gender you consider "hot".)
Kate Winslet

29. Book(s) you've tried to read but just couldn't get through that you still plan to read?
Heart of Darkness

30a. Favorite alcholic beverage?
Girly drinks - toasted almond, margaritas, daquiris, etc.

30b. How often do you drink alcoholic beverages?
If you average it out over the course of my life, probably once every three years.

31a. Do you enjoy taking surveys?
Sometimes

31b. Are you pissed off that I said this was going to be 40 questions and, including sub-questions, we're already at, like, 52?
No, like most people, I can talk about myself all day long.

32. How many of the 50 states have you been to? (Note: For purposes of this question, "been to" can include driving through on the highway, but it cannot include airport stop-overs where you did not leave the airport.)
11 - Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Florida, Nevada

33. Person you'd most like to have a beer with (excluding friends/family)?
At this very moment, my answer is Rob Corddry, I think he's damn sexy.

34. Person you'd most like to punch in the mouth?
Sean Hannity

35a. Describe your style of driving.
I vary between competitive (when I drive in the city), distracted (when I'm tooling around town - I like to look in people's houses as I drive by at night. It's really a wonder that I've never had an accident) and zen (when I'm driving on the highway, in traffic - I try to just chill and enjoy the music.

35b. If you could have any car in the world -- for daily use, not a "trophy" car -- what would it be?
a hybrid of some sort

36. Your Myers-Briggs personality type?
EMCJ? ICMJ? I don't remember what it was, and I'm not taking the test again.

37. Favorite color? Explain.
I don't have just one.

38. Favorite season/location combination?
Autumn in New England. Cold enough to wear a sweater, but not freezing. Beautiful leaves, Halloween, my birthday.

39. Do It Yourself or Hire A Professional?
I take option C, denial that something needs to be fixed. Which I guess ultimately results in hire a professional.

40. It's Friday afternoon, almost quittin' time. Can't wait to get home so you can _____.
go swimming.

No comments: