7/24/2006

I'm looking forward to this movie

It's slightly disconcerting when someone not only outweirds your weird childhood, but seems to handle all the resulting mental trauma better than you do. And when I say better, I mean in a way that helps them make money and become a famous, best-selling author. Yes, I didn't become an alcoholic. But being an alcoholic while still maintaining a financially rewarding career is much more glamorous, or at least socially acceptable, than self-sabotaging any forward progress you make in your life by getting pregnant unexpectedly, and then spending your nights raiding the cabinet for Little Debbie Snack Cakes*.

All my resentment aside, I love Augusten Burroughs. I love that he is totally upfront about his worst qualities - his selfishness, self-centeredness, materialism...all qualities that I share, although I do try to squelch them.

His first book is being made into a movie that looks excellent - Running With Scissors - click on the Film/TV link to see a preview.

*Little Debbie Snack Cakes are not actually my weapon of choice when it comes to compulsively eating something bad for me. I have eaten them, but would prefer to not, because they are gross. I'm more likely to make some homemade pudding and then eat the whole pot. Or have 3 cheeseburgers, or an entire sleeve of Ritz crackers with cheese. I'm working on the problem.

No comments: