10/13/2005

Margaret Thatcher hates freedom

A friend of mine pointed me to Tina Brown's column about Harriet Miers in the Washington Post, which contained this gem about Margaret Thatcher's opinion of the Iraq debacle (Iraqle?):

The former chairman of the Arts Council of Great Britain, Lord Palumbo, who lunched with Mrs. T six months ago, told me recently what she said when he asked her if, given the intelligence at the time, she would have made the decision to invade Iraq. "I was a scientist before I was a politician, Peter," she told him carefully. "And as a scientist I know you need facts, evidence and proof -- and then you check, recheck and check again. The fact was that there were no facts, there was no evidence, and there was no proof. As a politician the most serious decision you can take is to commit your armed services to war from which they may not return."


She must be a pinko commie or sumpin.

No comments: