5/07/2004

Woke up this morning

at 6:30am to a newly seven year old Monkey singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" at the top of her lungs while she played "guitar" on a badminton racquet.

Seven years ago today, at this very moment, I was in labor, having back to back contractions - which means my contractions lasted for 2 minutes with a 30 second break in between. For those of you who have not or cannot give birth, contractions feel kind of like someone took a really bad cramp, poured gasoline on it and set it on fire. I got to feel the full effect of the contractions because I'm more afraid of having a needle poked into my spine than I am of pain.

We brought home a baby that refused to sleep, nursed constantly, and would not let anyone but me hold her without making a big stink. She also wouldn't gain weight, even though she was always eating. When she was a year old, she only weighed 14 lbs. To this day, though she looks like your average 6/7 year old kid, when you pick her up, she feels like she's hollow.

She makes life more interesting every day, sometimes in the Chinese curse kind of way, but mostly in good and funny ways.

I love you, Monkey - happy birthday!


No comments: