7/29/2009

SLIFR Quiz

1) Second-favorite Stanley Kubrick film.
Full Metal Jacket, although I must add the proviso that I have not seen all his films.

2) Most significant/important/interesting trend in movies over the past decade, for good or evil.
For good: increased accessibility to a plethora of movies from various non-studio sources via various technologies and the existence of businesses like Netflix.
For evil: the continued success of romantic comedies that are neither romantic nor funny, as well as the casting rules that give us young women partnered with old men.

3) Bronco Billy (Clint Eastwood) or Buffalo Bill Cody (Paul Newman)?
I can't answer, I haven't seen either of these films

4) Best Film of 1949.
The Third Man

5) Joseph Tura (Jack Benny) or Oscar Jaffe (John Barrymore)?
Oscar Jaffe

6) Has the hand-held shaky-cam directorial style become a visual cliché?
I think that would depend on the context in which it is used.

7) What was the first foreign-language film you ever saw?
Le ballon rouge

8) Charlie Chan (Warner Oland) or Mr. Moto (Peter Lorre)?
Mr. Moto

9) Favorite World War II drama (1950-1970).
Catch-22...okay, I cheated, it's not exactly a drama.

10) Favorite animal movie star.
Asta

11) Who or whatever is to blame, name an irresponsible moment in cinema.
Another ongoing complaint from me about romantic comedies - stalking as a romantic act.

12) Best Film of 1969.
Best...I don't know, Midnight Cowboy, maybe. I have a soft spot for Sweet Charity, personally. You could see Fosse the director honing his directorial eye in this one.

13) Name the last movie you saw theatrically, and also on DVD or Blu-ray.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at the movie theater
The War Zone on DVD

14) Second-favorite Robert Altman film.
The Player

15) What is your favorite independent outlet for reading about movies, either online or in print?
I don't have one, but I'm partial to Self-Styled Siren's blog

16) Who wins? Angela Mao or Meiko Kaji? (Thanks, Peter!)
No clue

17) Mona Lisa Vito (Marisa Tomei) or Olive Neal (Jennifer Tilly)?
Mona Lisa Vito

18) Favorite movie that features a carnival setting or sequence.
The Elephant Man

19) Best use of high-definition video on the big screen to date.
No clue

20) Favorite movie that is equal parts genre film and a deconstruction or consideration of that same genre.
In The Mouth of Madness

21) Best Film of 1979.
All That Jazz is my favorite, if not the best

22) Most realistic and/or sincere depiction of small-town life in the movies.
I like Siren's answer - for some reason, I can only think of horror movies

23) Best horror movie creature (non-giant division).
Maybe this is why? I'm going to go with the Alien from Alien

24) Second-favorite Francis Ford Coppola film.
The Conversation

25) Name a one-off movie that could have produced a franchise you would have wanted to see.
Serenity

26) Favorite sequence from a Brian De Palma film.
I can remember a sequence that showed a man following a woman, but I don't remember which movie it was - I jsut remember feeling a sense of dread as it went on. Otherwise, the only movie of his that I remember explicitly is Carrie, and I guess the dream sequence at the end would be my favorite part.

27) Favorite moment in three-strip Technicolor.
Dorothy opens the door to Oz

28) Favorite Alan Smithee film. (Thanks, Peter!)
don't know

29) Crash Davis (Kevin Costner) or Morris Buttermaker (Walter Matthau)?
Morris Buttermaker - I have problems with Kevin Costner

30) Best post-Crimes and Misdemeanors Woody Allen film.
Bullets Over Broadway

31) Best Film of 1999.
Best is maybe The War Zone...Three Kings was also very good

32) Favorite movie tag line.
Don't Go In The Water

33) Favorite B-movie western.
don't know

34) Overall, the author best served by movie adaptations of her or his work.
don't know

35) Susan Vance (Katharine Hepburn) or Irene Bullock (Carole Lombard)?
Irene Bullock

36) Favorite musical cameo in a non-musical movie.
Meryl Streep singing Amazing Grace at the end of Silkwood

37) Bruno (the character, if you haven’t seen the movie, or the film, if you have): subversive satire or purveyor of stereotyping?
I have't seen the movie, but I suspect a little from column A, a little from column B

38) Five film folks, living or deceased, you would love to meet. (Thanks, Rick!)
Preston Sturges, Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, George Sanders (if only because of everything I've read about him on Siren's blog), Orson Wells

6 comments:

Tracy said...

This looks like a fun meme. I would do it, but the answer "I don't know" would just show up too many times.

A George Sanders fan? Cool! He's fascinating, what little I know about him, but I've always been so intrigued. I might have to check out this siren chick's site.

Anonymous said...

Great meme. It'll take me some time to come up with all my answers.

The Brian DePalma movie you're thinking of may be "Dressed To Kill"(1980). Angie Dickinson is the woman being stalked.

maurinsky said...

Tracy, definitely check out Self-Styled Siren, it will make you add many old movies to your Netflix queue, and she's just a gorgeous writer.

melville: credit must be given to Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule, which came up with the questions.

Is Dressed to Kill the one with Michael Caine? I think it was a different movie, although it was also a blonde woman being stalked. It had a shot of the woman walking from far away, which is a film thing that freaks me right the heck out - it was also used in It and in Inland Empire.

Anonymous said...

Will do on giving proper credit.

Dressed To Kill does star Michael Caine. I don't remember that specific shot, though it's been many years since I saw it. Maybe it's Body Double ? Just a guess, I haven't seen that in years, either.

Anonymous said...

I posted my answers, just click on my name above. Lots of fun to think about. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Magni Work -
Micro Niche Finder -

Pregnancy Miracle -
Software Submitter Pro -
The Affiliate Code -
The Diet Solution Program -
Truth About Abs -
Zygor Guides -
yeast infection no more -






3d covers -
500 scrapbooking sketches -
acid alkaline diet -
acne free in 3 days -
advanced pc tweaker -
apple patch diet -
art of approaching -
auction inspector -
av advance -
build a nice store -
burnthefat -
burn the fat -
carb rotation diet -
catch spouse cheating -
chikara reiki do -