8/04/2011

Wedding Planning

So my eldest is engaged and they've picked a date, which is 2 years away. I am slightly astonished at how obsessed I am with wedding planning right now. I can't stop thinking about it. I keep reading Offbeat Bride, I scan through bridal magazines on the rack at the bookstore/grocery store, and Google lace wedding dresses (she wants a lace wedding dress). I have contacted venues and photographers so I plan my budget (I'm not paying for the whole thing, but I am contributing).

Perhaps it's just because I got married because I was pregnant and I didn't know what else to do. I was madly in love, too, but ambivalent about the subject of marriage. When I was in high school, I planned to just have a series of fabulous lovers, never marry, and never have children. The only time I have been more scared than the day I got married was the day I went into labor. I had a brief thought on my way to the hospital that I really didn't want to do what I was about to do, but it's kind of late to do anything about that when you're already 5 cm dilated.

Or maybe it's because I'm in love. And I know he wants to marry me. And I'm still kind of ambivalent about the idea of marriage. But the idea of having a big party with your family and friends to celebrate love is pretty appealing.

Or maybe it's because the news is so depressing (continued war, horrible economy, starving babies in Somalia, etc.) that it's a welcome distraction to look at beautiful spaces and dresses.

Whatever it is, I need to calm the eff down, because it's not my wedding!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm glad you're having fun and that you're in love.

When I was preparing to marry Joe, theknot.com was a huge help as far as budget and timing went. I highly recommend it.

Also when I was searching for a dress, I tried all the fancy places and ended up falling in love with two at Jessica McClintock at the mall - the one I wore and a beautiful fitted lace dress with a mermaid flare at the bottom. I don't know if that's the style your daughter is looking for, but that was there then. This is a few years back, of course, but I think she may find something there.

maurinsky said...

I'm leaving all that to Siobhan, but I'm basically searching for things that she might like. She seems happy with all my ideas thus far. She's visiting a possible venue today - it's actually a vacation rental in Kent, CT, it's a big barn, they have horses, chickens, etc, and Siobhan dreams of having a small farm someday.

I might commission a custom brew from Angelos for the wedding reception. She liked that idea a lot, and she said Jason would like it even more.

rental mobil jakarta said...

Nice article, thanks for sharing.